A friend on Facebook suggested after I posted yesterday that I should share the recipe of the cookies I made in some of my Secret Baker exploits.
Now in doing this I am letting you into a secret which somewhat detracts from my secret baker status, as they are the easiest things in the world to make, but they taste good, so have a go.
(sorry, I’m old school so these are all in old measurements)
- 4oz butter (or margarine)
- 4oz muscavado sugar
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- ½ beaten egg (this is a bit pesky, but you could make double and have lots of cookies or put half the mixture in the freezer.)
- 1 pack of chocolate drops
All you do is:
- Throw the butter and sugar in a bowl and whizz them together with a mixer until they are…mixed.
- Then throw in the flour, golden syrup and egg and whizz them until it all looks like a cake mix. (If you do this a bit at a time you’ll spend less time cleaning afterwards as the flour will pouf everywhere if you do it in one go. I always forget that.)
- Mix in the chocolate drops
- Spoon teaspoons of the mixture onto a baking sheet and cook for about 10 minutes at about 200C. As soon as the edges start browning keep an eye on them as they go from ‘golden’ to ‘only fit for the bin’ very fast.
And that’s it. You can swap the chocolate drops for just about anything. I’ve done:
- Peanut butter (1 huge tablespoon for the above quantities)
- Sultanas and orange zest
- Cranberries and white chocolate
- Those pretend orange chocolate buttons you get in the home baking aisle at the supermarket
- Smarties (great for kids and the cookies come out quite colourful)
And maybe if you make them, you could take a batch to where you work and spread the smiles with me? :o)
And in other news (Facebook friends will have already seen this), I noticed today that someone had landed on my blog today after looking up the weirdest search term. As I said on Facebook, I’m not sure whether to worry more about the individual or the fact that they were directed here! This is a screen shot of what I saw:
I am hoping that they were actually looking for a specific variety of male chicken. I hope. :o)