Upholstering with Norman

Not quite a year ago I started evening classes in upholstery.  I imagined it would become one of those things where, after a term of classes I could spend a few hours at the weekend working on my latest project in the conservatory, no teacher needed, producing beautiful things.  It turns out I didn’t think things through:

  • Other than being able to crochet, I’m not very crafty
  • I don’t remember instructions
  • My house is not big enough to hold any more things – beautiful or not
  • I am cack handed when it comes to hammers and tacks.  Give me a foot long needle (spot it in the video at the end) and you’re inviting disater
  • I have a Norman cat that likes to involve himself in everything

It also turns out it takes AGES to upholster anything.  Possibly because I am not very good at it.

Despite this, my parents were given a rather knackered looking foot stall and thought I could ‘do it up as a little side project’.  It took me and Dad a few hours just to strip it back, but I was determined that in my week off I would get it done.

image

(stool is on the right, obviously)

I started it at an all day class, alongside a chair (which I still haven’t finished and don’t have room in Pog Towers for when I do).  I got it to this stage:

image

But realised I still needed help with the stitching, so I went back for an hour to see the most patient teacher in the world to start me off.  I took photos, I wrote post it notes, I made a video, then I was on my own… (or as on my own as is possible with a Norman).

And very proud I am too, that I managed this:

image

Sewing in holes (with help)…

image

… to stuff with coconut matting…image

… adding a sheep….image

…then calico…

image

…adding top fabric… (and bottom fabric, but you can’t see that), stitching in the edges (with supervision)

image

…adding braid and taking it to its new home:

image

It’s a long way from perfect, but there was quite an element of chaos in all of this.  I swear I didn’t stage this photograph:

image

The whole thing is more messy than I thought it would be:

image

And this, it turns out, is what happens when you try to sew big holes into hessian when a Norman cat is around:

But we got there.  I think in total it took around 15 hours, two blisters, about 10 cuts, a small amount of blood and a lot of swearing.  Unfortunately for my teacher, I have a very, very long way to go before I am capable of doing anything more complicated on my own :o)

About thepogblog

erm...
This entry was posted in Pog Life, upholstery and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

talk to me here , if you fancy :o)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s